Accelerating enviromental sustainability in the food and beverage industry
Pepsico Greenhouse Accelerator: MENA Sustainability Edition
PepsiCo’s vision is a world where packaging never becomes waste. This vision is driven by PepsiCo’s global sustainability strategy. As one of the world’s most respected food and beverage companies, PepsiCo aims to use their reach and influence to help change the way society makes, uses, and disposes of packaging. This vision is driven by PepsiCo’s global sustainability strategy – PEP+ which is a strategic end-to-end transformation framework to drive action and progress across three pillars – Positive Agriculture, Positive Value Chain, and Positive Choices. PepsiCo’s sustainable packaging goals and drive toward a circular economy are at the heart of achieving a Positive Value Chain.
The three-year program will eventually identify solutions for agriculture and water management that will help PepsiCo achieve Net-Zero emissions by 2040 and become Net Water Positive by 2030 in line with PEP+ targets. To achieve this vision, PepsiCo is taking three-pronged approach to meet sustainable packaging goals and drive toward a circular economy including:
- Reducing the amount of packaging used;
- Driving an economy for recycled materials and supporting recycling to keep material in the circular economy; and
- Reinventing packaging materials and scaling innovative packaging solutions.
PepsiCo has a long history in the region, having served iconic snacks and beverages in the Middle East since 1962. Over the years, local governments across the board have sharpened their focus on both sustainability and innovation – creating an environment where businesses can thrive while still protecting the natural boundaries of the planet. Working hand-in-hand with regulators and policymakers across MENA markets to address risks within the wider food system helps create new opportunities for competitive advantage and future market growth. Recent research has also revealed that in the Middle East region, 9 in 10 people, are willing to take personal action to combat environmental and sustainability issues which signals growing trend toward eco-conscious spending and consumption among people who want to turn their efforts and purchases into meaningful action for the planet.
To learn more about PepsiCo’s mission read about the Pep+ campaign here
The PepsiCo Greenhouse Accelerator: MENA Sustainability Edition will identify and support emerging and disruptive technologies and services focused on reducing, recycling, and reinventing packaging materials. Innovation concepts could be new products, technologies, or services that help to reduce, recycle, or reinvent packaging. These could include, but are not limited to: biodegradable or reusable materials, consumer behavior modification, applications or software, operations processes, tracking technologies, and more. Innovations can be either concepts or already active initiatives that require scaling.
We’re looking for innovations across three focus areas:
Novel food or beverage packaging materials and/or products that are recyclable, compostable, biodegradable, or ultimately reduce packaging waste to increase diversion away from landfills.
Technologies or systems to support a circular economy in food or beverage packaging, enabling the delivery of great tasting products with less overall packaging or with the ability to accelerate package recycling rates and behaviors.
Devices, applications, or services, such as scales, wearables and monitoring methods, that enable better waste management by encouraging consumers to recycle, reduce, or reuse their food and beverage packaging.
How It Works
During the 6-month program, selected innovators will be paired with a PepsiCo mentorship team and receive an initial $20,000 USD grant to work on a new business initiative focused on reducing, recycling, and reinventing the packaging supply chain. Participants of the PepsiCo Greenhouse Accelerator: MENA Sustainability Edition program will have access to subject matter experts, resources, and a curriculum of business courses. PepsiCo experts will provide insights on research and development as well as perspectives on business models, product development, regulatory practices, market activation, and other areas. At the program’s closing event in July 2022, a panel of judges will award one participating company with a $100,000 USD prize to help advance and scale their innovation.
- November 21, 2021 – Call for applications
- November 21, 2021 – Virtual application launch event
- January 10, 2022 – Application submission deadline
- February 9, 2022 – In-person kick-off event and orientation
- April 16, 2022 – Virtual mid-term event
- July 20, 2022 – In-person graduation event and final prize winner announcement
- Have generated between $250,000 to $5 million in sales in the last financial year OR have a validated prototype for use in the market within the next 6 months.
- Be a licensed business in one of the participating MENA region countries (Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates).
- Agree to Terms and Conditions below.
- Be willing to work with PepsiCo Greenhouse Accelerator mentors and public relations team throughout six-month Accelerator program and attend Accelerator events.
An external third party will review all submissions and our selection committee will choose finalists based on the following criteria:
- Must include the focus areas of environmentally sustainable packaging alternatives, packaging reduction and recycling options, sustainable recycling behavior modification, and/or purpose-driven solutions.
- Uniqueness in the market.
- A clear go-to-market strategy and plan for sustained in-market execution.
- Balanced gender and ethnic diversity of team.
- Scalable business model.
Inviting startups and entrepreneurs with breakthrough packaging technology and circular economy concepts to apply to the PepsiCo Greenhouse Accelerator: MENA Sustainability